Thursday 7 May 2015

To Vote Or Not To Vote, That Is The Question...



And the answer is YES!

I asked my partner James earlier whether he had voted before today, he said only once when he turned 18 and his reason being was just because he could. Which is great, you should vote because you can. And then I asked him what was different this year, why did he vote. He said it was because of Zoe, which is also the reason why I voted.

Today was the first time I voted, and over the last few weeks I have really felt like I wanted to, because we have a child and the plans and changes we make now are going to affect her whether it be in the short term or the long term. And also because being female, women died for my right to vote! That should be reason enough.  

Before Zoe my knowledge of the government and the politics world was quite small. I don't think it was ever properly explained to me, or perhaps I never really cared to listen when it was being explained. Perhaps I was too young to really understand, maybe this is why younger people don't really vote, because they aren't given the tools and the knowledge to understand. It is true that if more younger people vote the more than government will bring in policies that affect younger people! I had briefly studied Economics at University (but this was unfortunately the year I met James, so studying took a back seat). I understood tax, VAT and NI - only because it was what really directly affected me - other things I didn't really notice. 

Now though I find it more important to vote, being a parent and being a homeowner. Which is why I voted. I want my child to have the best health care that she can have, I want her to grow up in a country that will help her study and achieve her goals, aid her in getting a job that pays well.

Someone said to me that they weren't going to vote for a certain party because they didn't like the leader. To me that seemed a bit silly - because it's not that ONE person that is going to lead our country, there is still a team of others behind that person to stop them making mistakes, or help them make the right decision for our country. It is the policies that they endeavour to put in place that should be the reason that you vote.
I believe that you are entitled to your opinion when it comes to everything and anything. But when it comes to politics and the government, if you don't vote then you shouldn't really complain. It is something that you can have your say it, you can be the change, and your vote matters! If you have a problem with the way the country is run, then don't just whinge about it, vote! 


Thought that this was quite appropriate

NB. I would just like to add, that as a mother that breastfed (and in public!) for a member of government to want us mothers to "sit in the corner" and breastfeed in my eyes, is awful. We have every right to breastfeed our children wherever we are, breastfeeding is the most natural thing that a mother can do, and for some mothers to do it in public is the hardest thing to overcome, so for someone to come along and agree that it should be done under a napkin, or in a corner makes me very upset and angry! Women should be able to breastfeed whenever and wherever they want!






1 comment:

  1. I voted but feel like it was pointless with our current system because my vote wasn't heard. I think it should be proportional representation instead xx

    ReplyDelete