Tuesday 5 May 2015

My Mum

It took a while for me and my mum to have the relationship that we have now. I was one of those horrible teenage girls. I fully admit to being an utter cow at times, I would come home at ungodly hours, demand money, stay in bed all day, bring home tonnes of friends at stupid hours. Backchat, scream and swear, tattoos, piercings, crashing cars, coming home drunk, getting stoned! You name it, I probably did it. 

I think that when I hit about 18 I realised that my mum wasn't the enemy, she's not out to ruin my life, and actually compared to most is a really cool mum. She helped my dad through his anxiety illness, and keeps him sane. She grew up with 3 brothers and raised 5 children, and helped with my dads 4 from a previous marriage. My mum is pretty amazing. 

Before I was even pregnant I knew I wanted my mum there at the birth, without a doubt. Having her there got me through it, as well as my partner obviously, but my mum was brilliant. She just knew what to do when James didn't. It was the first time she had been there for a birth, and she says that out of all of her Grandchildren (she has about 14) Zoe is the one she feels closest to, and she believes it was due to this - I reckon it's also because of the relationship that we have. I remember when Zoe had just been born looking up to find my mum, for her to be stood in the corner overcome with emotion, a truly special moment that I'm so glad to have shared with her. 

Mum stayed with us for a few days when we got to go home, and the appreciation for that I don't think I can ever repay. She knew what was needed, when to step back and when to speak up. My house was frigging spotless! 

So for that I just want to say thank you mum, because of you I am the person and mum that I am today.

 
Mum with Zoe aged 1 day

1 comment:

  1. I love this post so much! And your mum too :) I still find it hard to accept my mum isn't out to ruin my life sometimes despite how much she does for me! Although most of the time she's pretty great xx

    ReplyDelete